Myths of Laparoscopic Surgery.
Laparoscopic surgery has been rapidly accepted without rigorous scientific study. New procedures and technologies have advanced rapidly, and most gynecologists have embraced these techniques. We believe that the new technology has given rise to the following myths: (1) that there are associated cost savings,
(2) that new technology is always better than the old,
(3) that a steep learning curve is acceptable,
(4) that market share will be lost without the new techniques,
(5) that oncologic surgery is not different when performed laparoscopically,
(6) that operations are the same with the laparoscope, and
(7) that every gynecologist can do these procedures. A critical evaluation of new technology and of laparoscopic techniques needs to be performed.