Infertility Enhancing Laparoscopic Surgery Treatment
Now a days almost 25-30% couples who are trying to conceive are unable to do so. Of these couples 40% of the problems are in the male partner 40% in the female partner and 20% account for the unexplained infertility. Soon these couples then jump into IVF (test tube baby) as there is a lack of public awareness on fertility enhancing surgery in our country.
THE FEMALE FACTOR
Laparoscopic and Hysteroscopy have come as boon for infertile couples as compare to open surgeries the benefit of Laparoscopy
- Only one day hospital stay
- Less pain
- Minimal blood loss (less than 1 tea spoonful )
- Less expensive
- More importantly for infertility couples minimal adhesion formation
All in all laparoscopic surgeries are far more superior surgery for the patient and for the doctor. Compared to IVF (test tube baby) the advantage of fertility enhancing surgery are that the basic abnormality in the reproductive organs is corrected with this surgery so that the woman (patient) can go on to conceive naturally without any help. IVF is not only more expensive and stressful for the couple but also needs to be done repeatly for each pregnancy hence IVF should only be done as a last resort when Fertility enhancing surgery.
There are many conditions in infertile couple where fertility enhancing laparoscopic surgery helps.
- Tubal cannulation: – wherein the tubes are blocked these tubes in 60-10% cases can be opened with thin wires in 60-70% . Only those tubes which are permanently blocked should go for IVF.
- Endometriosis :- Sandwitch therapy wherein a primary laparoscopic surgery is done and all abnormalities treated then patient is given hormonal therapy for 6months following which a Relook laparoscopy is done. In several follow-ups we have found that the chances of getting pregnant increase to 80% following this treatment compared couples who have only 10-15% chance of conceiving otherwise.
- Fibroids :- After laparoscopic Myomectomy (removal of fibroids ) & LUAL ( Uterine artery ligation) the pregnancy rate in woman almost comes to that of a normal woman.
- PCOD :- In case where medical therapy has failed PCOD drilling (of the enlarged & ovaries) greatly increase the chances of the pregnancy
- Hysteroscopy surgeries (like septum where there is a wall inside the uterus or polyps or fibroids (benign growth inside the womb) can be taken out easily during hysteroscopy surgery.
All in all the pain of not having a child is something only a woman can understand. In our society where a woman who cannot have a child is ostaticrised Fertility enhancing surgery should be made more commonly available and public awareness regarding its availability increased.