What is Hernia?
Hernia is a bulge through muscles of abdominal wall. As inside of the abdomen is a high pressure area, especially on lifting & Straining which causes a pouch to bulge out through any of the weak spots. This bulge may be present at birth or develop in adult life.
What are the common types of hernia?
- Inguinal hernia
- Femoral hernia
- Incisional hernia
- Epigastric hernia
- Umbilical hernia
VENTRAL (INCISIONAL HERNIA)
Ventral hernia is a bulge through opening in the muscles on the abdomen caused by past incisions.
- Noticeable bulge on coughing and straining
- Pain or pressure at hernia site.
- Large abdominal incisions
- Post operative infection
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Pulmonary (Chest) infections
THINGS TO DO:
- Before operations evaluation & pre anesthetic check up:
That includes blood work, urinalysis and ultrasound. Surgeon and anaesthesia provider takes your health history & medications history. Type of surgery & anaesthesia decided.
- Day of your operation:
You will not eat & drink for 6hours before the operation.
You can go home within 24hrs, if you are able to eat & drink & comfortable.
RISKS OF NOT HAVING A OPERATION:
Size of your hernia and the pain it causes increases. If intestines are trapped in the hernia pouch you will have sudden pain and vomiting and will require emergency operation.
Type of operation depends on location, health, age, anaesthesia.>>As operation is the only treatment for a hernia repair.
- Open: Suturing the muscles around the hernia site or placement of mesh.
- Laparoscopic technique (Minimally invasive or keyhole surgery): Surgeon makes 3-4 punctures in abdomen. Ports (tubes) are inserted into the openings. Abdomen is infleted. Contents are reduced in abdomen.
Mesh is placed inside & hernial orifice covered. It is sutured, stapled or clipped to the muscle around hernia site.
Use of mesh reduces the risk that the hernia will return back. Different types of meshes are available in different sizes for different hernias.
- Keep ideal weight.
- Avoid heavy weight lifting
- Avoid constipation
- Avoid any type of straining
If you have symptoms suggestive of hernias, you should show your doctor immediately.